Wednesday, August 24, 2011

Revised Resolutions

I love Mondays. I know that it's strange, but I can't be the only one. Ever since high school, I have loved a fresh new week. You grab your planner and write down all of the lofty things you will accomplish that week. How that week is going to be better than the last. How everything you fucked up last week can be fixed and you will be the one to fix it.

It's just like what we all do at the beginning of a new school year. "This year, I'm going to keep everything organized!" "This year, I'm going to go over my notes after class so that I really know I've got it!" Of course, that always falls through pretty fast, but I've always been one for resolutions whether it's a new year, new school year, new semester or simply a new week. There's always room for self-improvement, and although we never really have a clean slate in front of us, Mondays always have that feeling for me.

Yesterday, I went "school supply" shopping, even though I'm not in school anymore. I feel like late August may be the best time to go office supply shopping due to back-to-school sales. I got a plastic file folder to put paid bills and other papers in. Because this year I'm going to be organized! I got some sharpies, because ours keep dying. And I got two desk organizer items that accommodate my ever-expanding makeup collection. For only $5, I got a rotating desk organizer that is perfect for holding eye brushes and lipsticks, which rocks because my lipsticks were pretty disorganized before.

Today, I stumbled upon my new years resolutions for 2011. Let's see how they hold up and revise the ones that are still feasible in a different way.

1. Better Budgetting
This is a goal every month. It's just a lot of work to keep track of all of the money I spend and make. I know that I should, but I have not been too good at this since I left the dorms last March.

2. Be a Much Better Housekeeper
Little by little, I'm improving. My room is still a disaster area, but I've become better and better about keeping common areas like the living room, dining room, bathroom and kitchen clean. Since I moved out of my old apartment, none of these places have become quite as disgusting as they had there. Although, to be fair, my old apartment was relatively disgusting when I moved in. My plan for my room (once I finally clean the thing,) is to just take it one day at a time. Instead of making a resolution "I will keep my room neat all month!" I will just do it each day for as long as I can, and that is all I can do.

3.Reduce screen time to one hour per day.
In this one, I am talking about watching movies/tv/netfix. This is never going to happen. This resolution has been aborted. I am coming to terms with the fact that I watch a lot of TV. I justify it by reminding myself that TV is what I want to do "when I grow up." Because that makes up for the hour and a half of Jersey Shore I watched when I was supposed to be cleaning my room on Saturday. Right.

4. Travel to one other continent!
I can't afford it!

5. Work out 5 hours per week, complete the Carleton Triathlon
I completed the Triathlon! Check! My new goal has been revised to work out 6 days per week, and that's ambitious. I try to do 30 minutes of cardio 4 or 5 days a week and 1 hour of cardio 1 or 2 days per week. I actually have been accomplishing this goal. It's awesome.

6. Get a tattoo
Haven't gotten one yet. Still want to. Too scared of commitment at this point.

7. Try one new recipe per week
I don't know how I expected to do this while I was still in college, but here in the real world, it has become easier to try new things. Last week I made baked ziti for me and Mira, which was burnt but awesome. Last night Mira and I had a girlfriend from college over for dinner and I made mojitos, that's a recipe, right? One of these days I'm going to make steak!


Now having seen that list that I wrote on January 1st, I'm actually surprised what is included on it and what is not. I would think "Move out of my parents' house" would be included, since I was pretty dead-set on doing that upon graduation.

The new school year is a good time, at least for me, to make new resolutions and revise the old ones because everything from the summer is slowing down and getting less crazy. It's time for me to fall into a routine, despite my ever changing shifts at my hourly job. It might even be time for me to get a pet, since I will be spending more time in the house and less time at music festivals. I really want a cat. Really bad. This time next week, maybe I will have one.

No comments:

Post a Comment