Sunday, August 14, 2011

Why does Lizzie have a blog?

So this will just be a quick introductory post about me and why I decided to start blogging.

I have been saying for a while now that I want to be a writer, whatever that is. In fact, when I was quite young, I used to think I wanted to be a writer until I realized that I didn't like books that much. In recent years, I have learned that there are other types of writers! (I know, it's hard to believe, but it is very exciting when you wrap your mind around it.)

Jokes aside, I don't really enjoy discussing what I want to do with my life. Yes, I want to be a writer. Specifically, I would like to be a TV writer in the field of comedy. Why don't I like talking about it? Because it just seems so unlikely. When someone asks you what you're doing after college and you reply "Well, I want to be the next Tina Fey," it just comes off as delusional. And to be fair, that's not exactly what I want. I admire and respect the woman as much as (more than?) the next guy, but obviously I want to be me, with my brand of humor and my very own flavor.

So where do you begin when you want to be a writer? Everybody's path is different, but one thing I've been told over and over again is that if you want to be a writer, you have to write. Practice, develop your tone, find your voice. So here I am, writing a blog. I would love to someday have some kind of focused, marketable blog that will make me very rich and famous, but this one is not the thing. This blog is for exactly what I mentioned above: practice. And if my friends and loved ones decide to read along and learn a little bit about my navigation of post-college life, all the better.

So sit back, enjoy and please comment!

Posts will be on Sundays and Thursdays. Don't make fun of me for cheating on this one.

No comments:

Post a Comment