Thursday, October 6, 2011

Urban Adventuring! Tuesday Afternoon

On Tuesday, I went on an awesome Chicago adventure with my house guest Erica! Erica and Mira were close friends at Carleton before Erica transferred to RISD junior year. Although Erica and I were never close at Carleton, we found that we got along famously when she came for a visit this week. Don't you love when that happens?

Anyway, we decided to go exploring on Tuesday while Mira was working and before I went to work. Erica wanted to see the bean, and on the way down there, I suggested we stop in the Chicago Cultural Center. I've been meaning to go to the Chicago Cultural Center just to check it out for a while but hadn't made it there yet.

All I can say is woah! That place is incredible. Maybe I am the only one out of the loop (pun not intended, but awesome,) but I can't believe I've lived in the Chicago area for so long and I have never been here before. I cannot recommend it highly enough.

The Chicago Cultural Center is located in the former Chicago Public Library, and it still feels pretty library-ish in the best way. The environment feels quiet and very calming. There are art galleries on two different floors, and everything is free free free! The first thing we saw was Project Onward, a studio and gallery for artists with developmental disabilities. Some of the art was stunning, some of the art was weird, and all of the art was inspiring.

Afterwards, we walked up the stairs to another gallery which featured different words as art. That's not the best way to explain it, but I'm not a visual art person. Just believe me, it was cool.

What followed was some fun touristy bean-looking (as well as photo-taking) and some Anthropologie window shopping, which was depressing as usual.

If you find yourself with nothing to do in downtown Chicago, you've got to hit the Chicago Cultural Center. It might not be a secret, but considering I've never been, I'm sure some of you haven't either. There's free wifi and a calming atmosphere, so if you're unemployed or underemployed like me, go on over and do your job search there, I mean, why not? After all, you can't do all of your homework at the same Starbucks every week!


________________________________
Additional grown-up note of the day: rather than spending $3 on one, I decided to attempt to make my own skim latte today. It went alright, although I don't think my steamer is working, so there was some microwave time involved...

Oh, and as an update, I got the job offer, but I am going to decline. I would not have enough time to focus on my writing, and at this point, I still have the privilege to prioritize.

2 comments:

  1. I want a milk steamer.

    Also, I agree with your prioritization. You're qualified for plenty of "real" jobs that won't eat nearly that much of your time.

    ReplyDelete
  2. My milksteamer would suck up the milk and then spit it out for like 10minutes afterward. I don't think I was using it right. The cultural center sounds cool! Sounds like a neat cheap activity.

    ReplyDelete