Sunday, September 25, 2011

Modern Family, Yay!

I am so glad that Modern Family is back! The season 3 premier was fantastic, even though they replaced Lily (who had next to no expressions.) One of the best things about Modern Family is that it totally deserves that name, Modern. I love that Sofia Vergara is so sexy and at the same time so funny. To see a gorgeous woman who is more than a prop for phallocentric jokes is in itself progressive. I also love all of the conversation that arises as Cameron and Mitchell try to navigate creating their own type of family in a heteronormative world.

It's no surprise that Eric Stonestreet won an Emmy for his portrayal of Cam on Modern Family. He is easily one of the funniest parts of the show. As the nurturing stay at home dad who is as enthusiastic about glitter as he is about football, he brings a lot of flavor to the Pritchett family that he married into.

Mitch and Cam are constantly exploring their roles. With both partners identifying as the same gender, their roles are not written in pen in society's rulebook. They don't even have a rulebook. As Cam is the more nurturing of the two, he often fills the more motherly role, which leads to a hilarious Mother's Day episode where everybody is treating Cameron really nicely, buying him flowers and serving him breakfast in bed, and he protests that he is not a mother. It's hilarious. Watch it. Actually, watch any episode ever and you will probably fall in love with the show.

While I am cool with them exploring their family roles, I found the last episode a little offputting. Mitchell and Cameron are talking about adopting a baby boy, and Mitch gets worried that he doesn't like enough boy stuff and wouldn't be able to teach that to his new son. I just found it a little far-fetched that he would be worried about this. It goes along with his characteristic insecurity, but you'd think he would feel more comfortable with his abilities as a father, as he is a grown man. He likes musical theater, so who is to say that his son will prefer football and blowing things up to musical theater? Additionally, he knows that Cameron is into boy stuff, like sports, so why can't Cameron be that person in their son's life.

It's especially absurd because they had Lily and the same concerns didn't arise, even though neither of them are women. I'd think it would be more likely that if they did worry about this, they would worry more about the girl. Although, it wouldn't be as funny if they were worrying about bras and makeup for girls. It's much funnier to have Mitchell worrying about whether he is manly enough.

I find it hard to believe that a gay man in his 30s would be concerned about being masculine enough for his child. You would think that he would be glad to just be himself and show his child that regardless of traditional gender, you can be whomever you want to be, especially since Mitch has a hard time relating to his own father. Then again, none of my friends, gay or straight, are really starting families now, so perhaps they do consider this while having kids. I wouldn't know.

I think the thing that truly bothered me about this plotline is the implication that boys should learn boy things and girls should learn girl things. I hope that when I start a family someday, I will teach both my daughters and my sons at least basic sewing, just as I will wish both my daughters and my sons to be handy. Regardless of gender, they may be into sports or dance or theater or science, and I will try to be as supportive of their interests as possible.

-------------------------------------
On an unrelated note, if you missed my post "why I hate Dating" over at my buddy Janie's blog, then check it out.

1 comment: