Wednesday, September 21, 2011

Training my Cat


This is my first post about my cat Olive, whom I got on August 27. I know what you're thinking... "Thank God I found a post about a cat! I love cats and can hardly find anything about them on the internet!" All I can say is, you're welcome.

Olive is very cuddly, but she's also very curious. Here's a picture of Olive the first time she got on top of the fridge. She is adorable, but she loves to explore high and low. Any time a cabinet is open, she does her best to get in it and poke around. This is super cute when I leave my drawers open and find her in them, as long as there's nothing in them that I want to keep away from her.



She is such a mischievous little kitty that I find it very amusing when she gets stuck in a paper bag. So amusing that I grabbed my iPhone rather than attempting to help her. Here is the video evidence:



Recently, Olive has developed an interest in eating, or attempting to eat, Mira's plants. We have been keeping them in a high place that we thought she couldn't get to, but she devised a way. See the photo below. The cat jumps from the ground, to the mantle and then from the mantle to the cabinet where the plants are.

Last night, I decided that this must end. While reading my book on the couch, I had a pint of water and a close eye on the cat. When Olive would eye the mantle and prepare to jump, I would sprinkle water on her head. When Olive would successfully make it on top of the cabinet, I poured a few ounces of water directly on her head. She learned quickly that she doesn't want to go up there because it rains up there.

Today, she hasn't even looked at the mantle. And don't worry, we're still friends despite the water.

And that is how you train your cat.

2 comments:

  1. Seconds 2-5 of that video are golden.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Its similar to 'how to train your dragon' (hopefully there isn't a 6 eyed giant cat that you have to kill because it's oppressing all the other cats). Super cute video of olive! She's a very amusing cat.

    ReplyDelete